We start 2018 with powerful features to identify geographical position of IS Tools users, to complement the use of Maps. Also, lots of improvements on Rules to shape up record names, styles on fields, format and attachments on e-mails, and much more.
GPS locationWe make it possible to track and store location details of users based on their mobile device logged in IS Tools. For instance, get the times and last positions of an employee working with deliveries, the distance between his/her position and the next stop, etc. More information is provided under “Changes for administrators”.
Satellite view in MapsGet a real picture of the world choosing the new “Satellite” option in your Map component, allowing you to place markers with high precision on existing properties or assets.
Zoom-in functionZoom in on the Map by double-clicking any part of it. Be aware that in previous releases, this function was activated by clicking on the + (plus) icon or using scroll wheel up, while double-click meant the creation of a new marker. Today, creation is only possible via the Create new icon.
Remember my loginLog in a single time to your application, and enjoy working with multiple tabs or windows without having to be redirected to the login page every time you open them.
Notifications for Reports and ImportsYou will be notified every time a report or import of yours is finished.
Copy page linkFind the “Copy page link” option in the More menu (i.e., the horizontal three-dot icon) at the top bar, useful to copy the URL of your current application form to the clipboard, so it can be pasted wherever you need (e-mail, notification, etc.).
Filter pop-up with form’s titleThe pop-up form of the Record filter will adopt the title of the Section (or Panel) from where this is displayed. The purpose of this is to show to the user which filter belongs to which section in a clear way, in case there are many of these on the form.
Tooltip in CalendarNo need to make your Calendar component bigger to see the details of your appointments in a quick way, just hover over them to display a tooltip where information related to it can be read.
Fields with styleYou will notice every now and then that colors are applied to some fields when certain conditions are met. For example, the background of a Drop-down box turns red if the value “Cancelled” is selected. This is helpful to call the attention of the users upon specific actions. More information is provided under “Changes for administrators”.
- When access rights were modified by a rule, the action icons on forms didn’t take effect accordingly.
- The Excel file generated by the Quick report icon in forms, split columns for fields that contained comma in their names.
Changes for administrators
Changes related to Rules
- Track and store location details of users with our new rule functions: userLatitude() and userLongitude() to get the coordinates where the user is; userLocationTimestamp() to get the time when the previous numbers were recorded; userLocationAccuracy() to set a distance in meters respect to the current coordinates. In combination, configure a powerful way to store, for instance, the times and last positions of an employee working with deliveries.
- Also, other two functions are available in IQL (i.e., for form filters besides rules): geodist(latitude1, longitude1, latitude2, longitude2) to get the distance in kilometers between two locations (i.e., records) and usergeodist(latitude, longitude) to get the distance in kilometers between a user and a location.
- It is possible to enable geolocation tracking per role and/or per user.
- Look for the validations functions related to GPS location further in this webpage.
- Creation: A new action is available in Rules wizard, “Create a record”, for instance, new orders can be automatically created upon special information provided by the customer
- Customization: Besides auto number and free text, the record name can now be configured with an action in Rules wizard. For instance, you can customize it with a pattern adding a suffix/prefix, or based on the value of a unique field or concatenation of values.
- You can now configure the emails sent by rules with some format, for instance, type markdown like **Hi** to make it bold.
- Also, attach files (i.e., stored in File fields) to your e-mails.
Form URL as hyperlinkBefore, to include a link to a form from an e-mail or SMS was only accessible for classic forms. This functionality has been extended to G3 forms, and also for Notifications.
Notifications based on criteriaNotifications can currently be written and sent via its own administrative form or automatically sent by the system in certain events like when generating imports and reports, but this release provides a third option to configure notifications, using the Rules wizard, i.e., once a condition is met, the rule action “Send a notification” will be triggered.
Random key for APIGeneration of random keys, to be used in API calls, can be configured via rules. This is handy for cases where a company needs to send links to customers to the web where information has to be collected and queried via API to continue to the next business process.
“Only scheduled” rule group typePreviously, rules placed into groups of type “Scheduled” were triggered on a regular basis by the server, but also by the users via forms or imports if the conditions were met. However, there has been cases where it is only necessary to trigger them exclusively based on the schedule. That’s the reason why we have separated that type of group into two: “Only scheduled” and “Normal and scheduled”. Also, a new setting is available for these groups: “Cron”, where a pattern can be specified in addition to the recurrence, e.g., if a group is set to the Hour schedule, you can use Cron to set it up to run it every 3 hours. Read about the patterns in our user manual.
Rules’ creation and edition datesFind out when a rule was created and updated by displaying the information tooltip of each rule. Rules’ actions will also show the last update. Obtain this information via the Export to Excel file as well.
Rule executionA major improvement has been implemented to make rules execute in the order they are listed, i.e., from top to bottom. This allows the administrator to configure a sequence of events in an accurate way.
Changes related to ValidationsNew functions have been added to the Rules editor in order to extend the validation functionality:
- For Date and Date time fields: now, today, addDays and addSeconds. For instance, Booking date >= today (addDays) plus 1 day would be useful to ensure that the user cannot enter a date earlier than tomorrow.
- For geolocation issues: userLocationDistance(latitude, longitude) to validate the distance, in km, between the user and a certain location; userLocationAccuracy() to obtain accuracy of the user’s position; and userLocationAge() to obtain the age, in seconds, of the user’s last reported position.
- HasRole(), useful in any case, to limit the validation to a certain role.
Changes related to ReportWhen running reports, some of them are granted priority over the others placed in queue, based to their short historical execution time registered by the system in the past. This is known as the “fast-lane” functionality. In this version, this calculation also includes the user who runs the report, because the time depends on how many records the user has access to.
Notice of planned future changesThe purpose of this section is to highlight selected planned changes that might have an impact on existing applications and user behavior, well in advance of actual development. The intention is that this should facilitate timely feedback, dialogue and preparations where relevant.
- In our next release (Summer 2018), a new UI for mobile devices will be implemented, making your application look more the way it does on desktop mode.
- Also, we are working on a fresh version of the Application configuration, i.e., Data model and Form designer, that we will introduce at the beginning of 2019. This new version is built without any plug-in software, unlike the current version, that uses Adobe Flash Player.